Collard greens have a long history dating back to pre-historic times and are considered to be the oldest member of the cabbage family. Collard greens are highly nutritious and have a variety of health benefits – including: reducing the risk of some cancers like breast and ovarian.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COLLARD GREENS INCLUDE:
- Sulfur containing they activate the detoxifying enzymes of the liver and help neutralize potentially carcinogenic substances.
- Promote bone health, rich in calcium, folic acid and vitamin B6. Reduce levels of homocysteine, which has been associate with hearth health and is damaging to bone structure.
- Promote Vision Health, high in antioxidants, lutein and Zeaxanthin which help to see in light and dark, reduce the risk of cataracts and age related macular degeneration.
- Promote Antioxidant Protection, high in vitamins, A, E and C. and manganese and zinc.
- Other benefits, high in dietary fiber, omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamins, B1. B2 and B5 for energy, iron for muscle building protein, tryptophan for promoting sleep.
- Can assist with the transition into menopause.
Great for weight control! 1 cup only is 49 calories!
- Steam them lightly and wrap anything in them, try quinoa salad with goat feta
- Cook lightly with onions and garlic and finish with tamari soy sauce.
- Add into any soup or curry
- Add into any salad, adds bulk and flavour
- Steam with baby potatoes, sesame seeds and dulse flakes
Leave a reply