Some of the conditions that make up this category of illness include:
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Lyme disease
- Co-infections of Lyme including opportunistic infections such as Chlamydia pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae as well as Babesia, Bartonella, Ehrlichia, etc.
- Mold toxin illness
- Chronic viral infections like Epstein Barr
Unfortunately, many people affected by these conditions go undiagnosed and miss-diagnosed for many years, in large part because of the variety of organ systems affected and therefore symptoms produced.
Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Profound fatigue
- Roving or intermittent pain
- Intermittent fevers or chills
- Brain fog, confusion or poor memory
- Intermittent flu-like symptoms
- Digestive disturbance
- Numbness and tingling
Testing for these conditions is notoriously unreliable, however, there have been important commitments by the Canadian government regarding improving testing and diagnosis. https://www.canada.ca/en/institutes-health-research/news/2018/10/government-of-canada-takes-action-to-address-lyme-disease.html