While we have become accustomed to wearing a face mask while we work, grab groceries, visit the doctor etc, one thing we didn’t anticipate were the skin issues that came along with wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time. To add to that, the pandemic has caused many people stress and anxiety which can also be a factor in the formation of acne. Dermatologists have deemed this condition ‘Maskne’ (now an official medical term).
When you breathe and talk, you are expelling hot air which creates a warm and humid environment….the perfect climate for yeast and bacteria to grow. Bacterial imbalances and friction from wearing a mask can promote acne as well as rosacea and even cold sores, making you and your skin feel less radiant than usual.
Whether you have a few pimples or painful cysts our physicians are here to help.
Here are our top 3 treatments to nurse your skin back to health.
In clinic treatments:
- Facials – Choose from a variety of facials to soothe and replenish your skin’s natural balance
- Microneedling – SkinPen® – A clinically and proven safe and effective treatment with little to no downtime, Microneedling is a non-invasive treatment as is used to stimulate the body’s natural wound-healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
- PRP (aka platelet rich plasma) – A safe and efficient way of providing a fresh, radiant and youthful look without the need for surgery. When PRP is used in conjunction with Microneedling the results are enhanced and offer smoother, brighter skin as well as helping to reduce scarring and help to prevent fresh breakouts.
- Nutrition – While nutrition doesn’t directly cause skin issues it can have an effect on your gut which in turn can cause imbalances. Dr. Catherine Multari, ND is able to offer a full assessment and nutrition plan to get on track and help you better maintain your results.
At home treatments:
We offer two clinically proven and dermatologist approved skin care lines at Port Moody Health to keep your skin looking and feeling it’s best.
iS Clinical – skincare products that deliver dramatic visible improvements to the skin.
Our regime for treating acne and blemishes whether or not caused by mask wearing are:
• Step 1: Cleaning Complex. A clear and lightweight cleansing gel that is gentle enough for hypersensitive skin. This product contains a balance of bio-nutrients, antioxidants, and mild resurfacing ingredients that thoroughly cleanse the surface and pores of the skin without stripping essential natural oils, leaving skin soft and smooth. Excellent for all skin types and all ages, this product even helps with blemish-prone skin.
• Step 2: Active Serum. This fast-acting, long-term, results-oriented formula decreases the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, visibly evens skin tone, and is excellent for blemished and blemish-prone skin. Results can be seen within as little as 2 days. Excellent for all skin types and for all ages, this powerful botanical serum leaves the skin moist and smooth.
• Step 3: Hydra-Cool Serum. Formulated to rejuvenate, hydrate, and visibly soothe the skin. This refreshing, powerful, penetrating serum combines superior antioxidants with essential botanicals and bio-nutrients. Designed for all skin types and for all ages, yet gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin.
• Exfoliating Cleanser – Gentle exfoliating cleanser for normal to oily skin that targets surface oil leaving the skin feeling clean.
• Complexion Renewal Pads – These moistened pads with dual action exfoliation help to minimize surface oil, remove dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores and calm and soothe irritated skin.
• Acne Control – A spot treatment that helps to neutralize bacteria-causing acne/breakouts, removes impurities, clears clogged pores and reduces redness.
• Complexion Clearing Masque: This natural, clay-based masque purifies pores and absorbs excess oil that can lead to future breakouts, while hydrating the skin to combat dryness.
Call and reserve your products today: 604-949-0077
Youthful Confidence Restored
A Canadian study of nearly 500 patients with acne, published in the British Journal of Dermatology, found that even having mild acne can evoke feelings of low self-esteem, depression and thoughts of self-harm. The fact that acne often coincides with the start of puberty adds to feelings of uncertainty about self-image and can contribute to emotional issues. . If you or someone you know is affected by a skin issue or disorder the Canadian Dermatology Association has a list of support groups in your area: https://dermatology.ca/resources/support-groups/
Leave a reply