It is hard not to be pressured by the media and medical authorities to get the Flu shot with their misleading claims of efficacy. Reality is, those who opt for the flu shot do not have 100% immunity (not even close at 60%) as the shot is produced from dead viruses that researchers have predicted the virus’s mutation will be. Not to mention that these shots are lovely concoctions of mercury, egg products and other lovely chemicals to suspend the virus. Your best defence to the flu, and the common cold, is always maintaining a healthy diet, exercise and sleep regime so that your Immune System can naturally combat the flu! Here are some great homeopathic and natural remedies with evidence based research supporting their efficacy in supporting your immune system function:
- Vitamin C: Research has shown that taking vitamin C reduces the duration of cold symptoms, predominately because it improves the function of the human immune system by up regulating antimicrobial and natural killer cell activities, as well lymphocyte activity. Be sure to take it as a complex with Flavinoids to maximize absorption and avoid the sugar laden chewables!
- Ginseng: While it has been proven to be useful in the treatment of numerous ailments, Ginseng root is effective in regulating all of our immune cells, essentially increasing our resistance to illness and other microbe assaults! Before taking any herbal products, be sure to consult with your naturopathic physician.
- Astragalus: Another phenomenal herb used in Chinese medicine for over 5,000 years, with clinical research supporting its ability to boost the immune system by supporting immune cell production, function and activity. Its beneficial effects are not limited to the cold and flu either, it has benefits for cardiovascular health, cancer prevention and can be a great energy booster!
- Curcumin: Also known as Turmeric, this commonly used spice in curries is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. It does however also possess antioxidant and antibacterial properties. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is used to treat coughs, sore throats, digestive problems and to improve circulation. An easy addition to most of your recipes! Caution in bleeding disorders and if you are on blood thinners or chemotherapy.
- Engystol and Gripp-heel: Two homeopathic remedies which studies have indicated can inhibit the replication of a variety of respiratory tract viruses. Human studies have shown their efficacy in both prevention and their ability to significantly reduce severity and duration of viral infections. Our Immune Booster shots are quick and inexpensive aid, suitable for your whole family!
- Echinacea: Probably one of the best known herbal remedies suggested for prevention of the cold and flu, but one which the efficacy has been debated.A recent study has further support for the ability of this herbal extract to reduce the frequency and duration of a cold and flu also showing its safety for daily consumption for a 4 month period. Try it in tea form or as a tincture to boost your immunity all winter.
The benefit to using natural remedies is that they boost your own immune defences and cannot be outsmarted by a change in viral configuration, nor are they limited to viruses! Maximize your body’s ability to fight illness by supplementing your diet with these herbal and homeopathic remedies to reduce the risk of getting sick and to decrease duration!
Want to learn more on how to support your immune health? You can book a consultation with one of our expert naturopathic physicians by calling (604)-949-0077.
Disclaimer: Information on our website is for educational purposes only. It is not intended for self-prescribing. Before taking any natural product, be sure to seek the guidance of a naturopathic physician to ensure product safety, tolerability and efficacy for you.
Roeska, K., Seilheimer, B. Antiviral activity of Engystol® and Gripp-Heel®: an in-vitro assessment. J Immune Based Ther Vaccines, 2010; (8) 6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998502/
Jawad, M., Schoop, R., et al. Saftey and Efficacy profile of Echinacea purpureato Prevent Common Cold Episodes: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. J Evidence-based Comp. and Alt. Med, 2012’ (12) http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/841315/abs/Leave a reply