Why Is vitamin D Important?
Vitamin D regulates the function of a variety of tissues; in fact there are specific vitamin D receptors in almost every tissue of the body.
In addition to maintaining healthy calcium levels, vitamin D regulates hormone secretion and supports a robust immune system.
From the prevention of certain cancers to lowering elevated blood pressure, vitamin D is essential for maintaining optimal health and decreasing the risk of disease.
Risk Factors for Vitamin D Deficiency
- Dark Skin
- Living north of the 35° latitude
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Sunscreen use
Vitamin D Deficiency is associated with the following conditions:
- Osteoporosis, osteomalacia, and bone fractures
- Cancers including breast, prostate, and colon
- Heart disease
- Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Facial hair and acne
- Lowered resistance to influenza and viruses
- Pain and muscles aches
Why Should I test?
Most people spend the majority of their time indoors where there is no sunlight, resulting in low vitamin D levels.
Optimal vitamin D levels are essential for bone health, hormone balance and a sense of well-being.
Symptoms of deficiency can be generalized are are often overlooked.
Be proactive and identify vitamin D deficiency early.
Monitor vitamin D levels after supplementation.
The 35° Rule
Living north of the 35° parallel significantly increases the likelihood of insufficient vitamin D levels dues to the angle of the sun in the sky. Low vitamin D levels are linked to increased risk of osteoporosis, brittle bones, psoriasis, cancer and heart disease. Many symptoms of vitamin D deficiency appear only after the deficiency has existed for many years. The first sign of vitamin D deficiency can be a fracture from a modest fall.
The Solution is here
- Take a simple blood test with Port Moody Health
- Review the results with your doctor and start a recommended program to address deficiency
- Take tailored supplements programmed to you
- Follow up to ensure the program is working with you and your ongoing better heath and wellness
[plethora_button button_text=”Request an Appointment” button_link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Fwww.portmoodyhealth.com%2Fbooking%2F||” button_align=”text-center” button_style=”btn-primary” button_with_icon=”with-icon” button_icon=”fa fa-calendar-plus-o”]Leave a reply