Summer time is just around the corner and we all know what that means…time to bring out those bikinis again! If the thought of that seems daunting, don’t worry. Here are some great tips on how to look and feel great on the beach this summer!
TOP 5 NUTRITION TIPS
1. Eat Frequent Meals – Aim for 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks evenly spaced throughout the day. This will help to maintain your blood sugar levels and help keep your energy levels up. In addition, you will be less likely to over eat at any one sitting, which can lead to bloating and weight gain.
2. Emphasize Whole Foods – Whole foods are packed full of nutrients that will leave you feeling and looking great. More often than not, try to choose foods such as fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, nuts and seeds, potatoes, brown rice, and other grains such as quinoa and teff!
3. Drink Plenty of Water – Staying hydrated is extremely important, especially on those hot summer days at the beach. Our bodies are about 60 – 70% water, and it is important to drink plenty of fluids to stay healthy and feel great. Consuming fluids with meals will also help you to feel fuller, and will reduce the chance of over eating.
4. Avoid Dairy – Many people are somewhat intolerant to milk and milk products without even knowing it. Consuming dairy products may lead to bloating, which makes even the nicest day at the beach uncomfortable.
5. Eat within 1 hour of waking up – Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day! Eating within 1 hour of waking up will prepare your body for the day to come, and will help avoid cravings and overeating later on. Including a source of protein such as eggs, nuts or protein smoothie will energize you and leave you feeling more satisfied. Just skip the banana, it has a high glycemic index – foods that make it harder to shed the fat.
TOP 5 WORKOUT TIPS
1. “Mix it up” with Intervals – Interval training is not just for elite athletes. It simply means alternating between periods of higher and lower intensities. Doing intervals is a great way to get your heart rate up, which means you will burn more calories and see greater improvements in your fitness.
2. Lean and Mean – Pound for pound, muscle burns more calories at rest than fat. So the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism will be. To increase you lean body mass (muscle), try adding in a strength training routine at least twice per week. Aim for 10 – 15 repetitions, at a weight that leaves you fatigued by 15 reps. Working both the upper and lower body will help you tone up and get ready to put on that bikini.
3. Use the Incline – Walking or running up hills and stairs will target the muscles in your thighs and butt. In addition to toning your lower body, hills are a great way to burn more calories in a shorter period of time, helping you work off those extra pounds efficiently.
4. To the Core – Core work will help you improveyour posture and tighten your abs. Previously thought of as just ‘crunches’, proper core work will get you activating all the muscles in your abs and back, as well as your glutes (that’s right – even your butt!). Simple exercises such as side and front planks, bridges, and crunches are a good place to start.
5. Try Something New – Trying a different activity or sport will not only make your exercise sessions more enjoyable, you will also work different muscle groups for a better balanced body. Rollerblading, hiking, biking and tennis are great summer activities to help you get in shape and enjoy the outdoors. So what are you waiting for? Grab a friend and have some great fun getting your body beach ready!